Saturday, September 4, 2010

Cosequin DS Double Strength Chewable Tablets, 90 Count Immediately



My dog absolutely will not eat the chewable tablets, and she isn't what I would call a finicky eater as it is extremely rare that she turns down something edible. I offered the pill directly to her, thinking that since they were chewable she would think they were a treat, but she refused. I then grabbed a couple of dog treats in my hand with the pill and she ate the treats but still refused the pill. I hid the pill in a beggin strip treat and that worked once.

I was able to get her to eat the pills the first couple of days by completely embedding them in peanut butter, but she caught on and started refusing peanut butter that had a pill hidden in it. I then tried hiding between two strips of cheese, which worked for another couple of days, but then she started refusing the cheese as well. I tried hiding a tablet in the middle of a meaty chunk in a larger serving of her favorite wet dog food, and she ate everything but the tablet. I then gave up on hiding them in food, as she knew the smell and was going to refuse anything with the smell

I tried to just make her take them orally by sticking them in her mouth and holding her mouth closed and massaging her throat. That worked once, but now she just holds the pill in her mouth until I let go then spits it out. These tablets must be extremely awful tasting, or irritating her once she swallows them for her to react this way.

My dog is old, and I really don't want to stress her out daily by trying to force her to take a pill that she doesn't want, especially since I don't even know myself if it will help her as you have to administer them several weeks to see results. I would suggest anyone considering buying this product to first get some samples from your veterinarian and see if it is going to be a struggle to get your dog to eat them. I have a Jack Russell Terrier and she's pretty smart, so I can't fool her very easily.Get more detail about Cosequin DS Double Strength Chewable Tablets, 90 Count.

No comments:

Post a Comment