Sunday, November 28, 2010

Panacur C Canine Dewormer Three 4 Gram Packages


Living with dog tapeworm is only partially fun. Recently after showering I noted a segment of one on my arm. I knew it came from my new puppy from the pound, as I had seen egg packets in his stool. As I am a microbiologist, I am familiar with all the common dog as well as human parasites, and am aware of certain characteristics that permit definitive diagnosis without having a microscope available; at least, diagnosis close enough to permit picking the right medication.

The text of the Amazon.com ad didn't say specifically, but on arrival, the package clearly said on the front, that it was effective against roundworms, hookworms, whipworms and tapeworms. The rear panel of the package clearly says panacur c is effective against Taenia species (of tapeworm) only. Dog tapeworm is a tapeworm of species Dyplidium - clearly I inadvertently bought the wrong medication. It cost only about $11, shipping incl. Not worth returning. (The medication I gave my dog was $28 (from groomer). Its effectiveness against D. caninum was plainly indicated on the box. I doubt my Chihuahua/terrier mix is big or old enough to host adult Taenia spp. but it is surely possible. His little gut would contain nothing but worm segments (proglottids).

I think the descriptive text should more clearly state what organisms it is effective against. Amazon.com lists this medication in packages designed with green, yellow or red hang (for display) tabs. It would be helpful if they had a comparative chart somewhere so the customer could determine the differences in packaging and effectiveness of each formulation against specific worms.Get more detail about Panacur C Canine Dewormer Three 4 Gram Packages.

No comments:

Post a Comment